So - this post will not be for those of you who don't do well looking at or hearing about injuries...
On Wednesday night, April 16 Kirk and Omar were working on insulating the new shop building. Kirk was up in the attic walking across a purlin (the boards that connect one truss to another) when the purlin broke behind him. He fell about 15 ft landing on his right foot then right arm.
With the help of friends - Kirk was taken to the Mercy ER in Iowa City.
He had a pretty deep gash on his right eye brow (beware of the picture below), a broken elbow, a broken hip (sort of between hip and pelvis), then two more breaks on his pelvis, as well as a sprained wrist and a cracked tooth. All on the right side. Ugh and ouch!
So after 23 stitches (three layers deep - the doctor said the lowest level made it so the skull was no longer exposed), and a bunch of x-rays and CT scans the Mercy staff said that Kirk's trauma (mostly the broken pelvis) was not something that they treat and he was transferred via ambulance to the University of Iowa Hospital.
After more x-rays and other work in the U of I hospital he was admitted to the hospital and we got in a room around 5:00 am Thursday morning. Backing up a little - Aaron drove Kirk to the hospital. I was not home :(. I was on my way to my parents with all 4 kids for an extended Easter weekend. I got the call from Omar when I was around Story City heading north on I-35. I turned around and met them at the Mercy ER. Aaron took my van home and Melissa and he took care of the kids for the next two days. So I stayed with Kirk (and Jenna too) - while other people were taking care of our kids. First the Fleming's, then the Casper's, then grandparents. It was better that way - for Kirk and for the kids, but it was hard to be away from them.
Kirk's injuries were non-weight bearing - both the elbow and the pelvis. So that complicated things - the physical therapist set him up with a platform walker so that he put weight on his forearm instead of the wrist or elbow. And Friday night we came home - with help again from friends and family.
Since then Kirk has been making progress each day. Getting around mostly with the walker in the house, and the wheelchair outside of the house.
Last Friday, May 2 he had the first follow up appointment and got the okay to do whatever doesn't hurt with his arm. The leg is still non-weight bearing. We return on June 4th.
Today he started physical therapy again - and he was given a few exercises, but also set up with crutches! That is a huge step.
So here starts the pictures from day 1.
Day 2
Day 4
Day 5 (ish?)
Happy to have the kids home to cuddle with.
Day 10 (ish)
Last Saturday (Day 17), Grace (with help from Sophia) planned the most amazing Surprise Get Well Party for Kirk. She called a few people to invite them (although we limited her guest list to just a couple of phone calls), planned stations - card making, poster painting, and snacks - although I didn't get any of the snacks made so we went without. Sophia was in charge of the card making station - she did great! It was really fun to watch Grace be the party planner. She was so proud. And my introverted Kirk did really well with it as well.
Day 17 - Kirk was so happy to be able to get out and mow - the doctor said that he probably shouldn't, and if he did not to tell her about it :). But he can sit without pain usually, and the bumps didn't seem to bother. Here he is finishing up mowing, and taking pictures of a vehicle to sell :). Two productive things which is great for a guy who has felt a bit unproductive for a couple of weeks.
Day 19 - Crutches
And look at this... I left to go get the girls from school - but stayed in town because Grace had tee-ball practice. I was gone for a little less then 3 hours and Kirk had gone up stairs - put on his work clothes, put on work boots, and when I came home I found him in the shop. Not exactly "back to work" but making progress!
So, as you can imagine our life has been a little bit crazy... but we are blessed beyond what we ever could have imagined by so many people! Our church family has been awesome, the staff at my school - MP high school showed amazing generosity, and from what I hear people/organizations that we are part of are still at it. It truly is inspiring to see how people are so willing to help! Meals, groceries, gift cards, cash, even help doing my dishes...we have probably cried more about the overwhelming generosity then we have about our current circumstances. How can we ever repay it? I will be a better helper outer :) when this is over. God is so good! So Good!








.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment